Archive | May 2015
- abnormal blood vessels in the shared placenta cause umbilical cord fusion
- Depending on the number, type and direction of the connecting vessels, blood can be transfused disproportionately from one twin (the donor) to the other twin (the recipient).
- affects identical twin pregnancies
- The common placenta may be shared unequally by the twins
- one twin may have a share too small to provide the necessary nutrients to grow normally or even survive.
Treatment and management:
- surgical interventiaon
- An extra electrial pathway in the heart.
- abnormal extra “wire” is present.
- additional connection can cause a short-circuiting that causes supraventricular tachycardia or SVT.
- rarely hereditary
Signs and Symptoms:
- rapid heart rates
- difficulty breathing
- loss of consciousness.
- may cause sudden death
Treatment and Management:
- ablation of additional electrical cardic pathway where possible