Archive | November 2009
- a condition marked by carbohydrate, protein and lipid metabolism deficiency
- an absolute insulin deficiency
- impaired release of insulin by the pancreatic beta cells
- inadequate or defective insulin receptors on body cells
- inadequate or defective postreceptor regulation
- the production of inactive insulin
- Premature destruction of insulin before it is able to act in the body
From the latin – First Do No Harm
Derived from the greek terms:
Diabetes – going through
Mellitus – honey
- characterized in the first century AD as a chronic affliction of intense thirst with the production of copious amounts of sweet urine.
- The discovery and isolation of insulin in 1922 by Banting and Best changed the outlook of this fatal disease to that of a chronic managable condition.