In peritoneal dialysis:
Any of several types commonly used in peritoneal dialysis, having end and side holes and consisting of a flexible silicone rubber tube with end and side holes and 1 or 2 extraperitoneal Dacron felt cuffs that help provide a bacteria-tight seal.
To avoid multiple paracenteses, a Tenckhoff catheter maybe used successfully to drain the ascitic fluid in a patient with peritoneal mesothelioma.
- Expect things to change and constantly look for them
- Anticipate specific problems – they don’t just arise unawares
- Prevent what is possible to prevent
- Act quickly as problems arise, since they have thus been anticipated and are in the forefront of one’s thinking
- Know that what worked at one point may not work all of the time
- Not become frustrated. Do not see changes as failures, but as challenges of expected changes requiring a new set of skills and energy in the caregiver.