Final exam reference list
- Lautenbach, E., Woeltje, K., and Malani, P. 2010. Practical HealthcareEpidemiology, 3rd ed.
- Airborne precautions – p. 57
- Droplet and contact precautions – p.58
- Common virus work ups – chicken pox, MMR, paro, Hep A, flu, TB – p. 292
Infection control structure and activities:
- Kristina A. Bryant, Anthony D. Harris, Carolyn V. Gould, Eve Humphreys, Tammy Lundstrom, Denise M. Murphy, Russell Olmsted, Shannon Oriola and Danielle Zerr (2016). Necessary Infrastructure of Infection Prevention and Healthcare Epidemiology Programs: A Review. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology. https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/S0899823X15003335
Weekly schedule and activities of an infection control professional
- Archer, Joanne. (2012). Orientation Program for Infection control professionals. https://www.picnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/01-Introduction.pdf
- BCCDC. (2014). Communicable Disease Control Manual Chapter 1 – Management of Specific Diseases Measles. Section 6.1 Laboratory Testing. http://www.bccdc.ca/resource-gallery/Documents/Guidelines and Forms/Guidelines and Manuals/Epid/CD Manual/Chapter 1 – CDC/MeaslesSeptember2014.pdf
- BCCDC. (2014). Communicable Disease Control Manual Chapter 1 – Management of Specific Diseases Rubella. Section 6.1 Laboratory Testing. http://www.bccdc.ca/resource-gallery/Documents/Guidelines and Forms/Guidelines and Manuals/Epid/CD Manual/Chapter 1 – CDC/RubellaSeptember2014.pdf
- Russell, SS. (2011). An overview of adult learning processes. www.medscape.com/viewarticle/547417_print
Provincial infectious diseases advisory committee (PIDAC). (2012). Routine practices and additional precautions in healthcare settings.
Outbreak Investigation: Lautenbach ch. 12 p. 145.
- Provincial Infection Control Network of British Columbia. (2012). PICNet BC Clostridium difficile infection toolkit and clinical management algorithm. https://www.picnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/Toolkit-for-Management-of-CDI-in-Acute-Care-Settings-2013.pdf
- Lautenbach ch19, p. 220
outbreak definition: sets the parameters or conditions for when an outbreak is declared. Includes person, place and time as it defines those individuals who will be counted as a case.
1. in the text:
- Chapter 9 “Molecular Typing Systems”
- Chapter 17 “Control of Gram-Positive Multidrug-Resistant Pathogens” p. 197
- Chapter 18 “Control of Antibiotic-Resistant Gram-Negative Pathogens”
- Chapter 19 “Clostridium difficile Infection” in the Lautenbach textbook.
2. PICNet BC. (2014). PICNet BC Toolkit for the Management of Carbapenemase producing Organisms (CPO) at https://www.picnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/PICNet-CPO-Toolkit-2015.pdf.
3. PICNet. (2013). Antibiotic Resistant Organisms Prevention and Control Guidelines for Healthcare Facilities. Retrieved from: https://www.picnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/PICNet_ARO_Guidelines_March2013.pdf
Various infection control guidelines PICNET: https://www.picnet.ca/guidelines/
PICNet. (2011). Respiratory Infection Outbreak Guidelines for Healthcare Facilities. https://www.picnet.ca/guidelines/
Ambulatory care settings
- Chapter 27 “Infection Control in the Outpatient Setting” – p. 392
- Chapter 23 “Exposure Workups” – p. 291
- Center for disease control and prevention (2016). Prevention Strategies for Seasonal Influenza in Healthcare Settings Guidelines and Recommendations. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/infectioncontrol/healthcaresettings.htm
- Influenzan (flu) Infection Control in Health Care Facilities documents hm pg https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/infectioncontrol/index.htm
World Health Organization. WHO guidelines on hand hygiene in health care. Geneva; 2009. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/44102/1/9789241597906_eng.pdf
Vertical and Horizonal approaches to ARO management:
Goldmann, Donald A., Perl, Trish M., Septimus, Edward., Weinstein, Robert A., and Yokoe, Deborah S. (2014). Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/10.1086/676535.pdf
Health Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada. (2016). Guidelines on Public Engagement. Obtained from: http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/publications/health-system-systeme-sante/guidelines-public-engagement-publique-lignes-directrice/alt/pub-eng.pdf
Human Factors engineering:
- What is Human Fators and why is it important to patient safety. Accessed Mar1, 2017 from http://www.who.int/patientsafety/education/curriculum/who_mc_topic-2.pdf
Employee Health and Occupational Medicine – text ch24, p. 319
Needle stick injury:
BCCDC. (2016). Blood and Body Fluid Exposure Management. http://www.bccdc.ca/resource-gallery/Documents/Guidelines%20and%20Forms/Guidelines%20and%20Manuals/Epid/CD%20Manual/Chapter%201%20-%20CDC/CPS_CDManual_BBFExpManage.pdf
Sharps injury prevention
CDC. (2008). Workbook for designing, implementing and evaluating a sharps injury prevention program. https://www.cdc.gov/sharpssafety/pdf/sharpsworkbook_2008.pdf
Contruction and renovation:
- Chapter 34 “Infection Control Issues in Construction and Renovation” in Lautenbach. p. 439
- Public health Agency of Canada. (2001). Construction-related Nosocomial Infections in Patients in Health Care Facilities. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/webarchives/20071124025823/http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/01vol27/27s2/index.html
- PICNet. (2012). Orientation program for Iinfection Control Professionals Module 10 “Construction and Renovation”. https://www.picnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/10-Construction-Renovation.pdf
- BCCDC. 2004. Communicable disease control Varicella zoster. http://www.bccdc.ca/resource-gallery/Documents/Guidelines%20and%20Forms/Guidelines%20and%20Manuals/Epid/CD%20Manual/Chapter%201%20-%20CDC/Epid_GF_VaricellaZoster_July04.pdf
- Government of Canada. 2016. Canadian Immunization guide. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/healthy-living/canadian-immunization-guide-part-4-active-vaccines/page-24-varicella-chickenpox-vaccine.html#p4c23a4