Algiatry is the branch of medicine specializes in pain management.
Typically involves an interdisciplinary team in the treatment and management of chronic pain.
Pain management team members:
- medical practitioners
- clinical psychologists
- occupational therapists
- nurse practitioners
Treatment approaches of long term pain
- pharmacologic measures – analgesics
- tricyclic antidepressants
- interventional procedures – epidural steroid injections, facet joint injections, neurolytic blocks, spinal cord stimulators and intrathecal drug delivery system implants.
- physical therapy – physical exercise
- application of ice and/or heat
- psychological measures – biofeedback and cognitive behavioral therapy.