Diseases affecting the nerves.
Diseases affecting the motor or sensory peripheral nerves are categorized as neuropathies.
- muscular weakness and wasting
Types of neuropathies:
- Motor neuropathies
- Sensory neuropathies
- Mixed (motor and sensory) neuropathies
Categories depending on nerve involvement:
- involve a single peripheral nerve
- involvement of several discrete nerves is referred to as mononeuritis multiplex
- Mononeuropathies are usually caused by local trauma, ischemia, infiltration or vascular disease
- Describes diffuse involvement of peripheral nerves
- Polyneuropathies are usually caused by diseases which involve the nerves diffusely.