Papanicolaou (Pap) smears
Secure specimens for cervical cytology – three in order
1. The Endocervical Swab
- Moisten the end of a cotton applicator stick with saline and insert it into the ox of the cervix.
- Roll it between your thumb and index finger, clockwise and counterclockwise
- Remove it
- Smear onto a slide
- Use ether-alcohol to fix material to the slide at once
2. Cervical Scrape
- Place the longer end of the scraper on the os of the cervix
- Press, turn and scrape
- Smear on a slide
- Follow with ether alcohol fixative
3. Vagina Pool
- Roll an applicator stick on the floor of the vagina below the cervix
- Prepare slide and fix.
- If the cervix has been removed, do a vaginal pool and a scrape from the cuff of the vagina.
Bates, Barbara. 1974. A Guide to Physical Examination. J.B. Lippincott Company, Toronto.