Assessment and Causes of Renal Enlargement
- Hydronephrosis – accumulation of urine in the kidney due to obstruction in the ureter.
- Polycystic kidney disease – inherited disease causing growth of multiple large cysts within the kidneys resulting in end-stage renal disease.
- Kidney tenderness is usually looked at posteriorly during examination of the back, saving the patient needless exertion
- Place palm of your left hand over each costovertebral angle in turn
- Strike it with the ulnar surface of your right fist
- Normally the patient should perceive a jar or thud, but no pain.
Bates, Barbara. 1974. A Guide to Physical Examination. J.B. Lippincott Company, Toronto.