- antianxiety agent
- preprocedural sedation and anxiolysis
- Preoperative sedation/anxiolysis/amnesia
- conscious sedation during short procedures
- IV use providesanxiolysis/amnesia during therpeutic, diagnostic or radiographic procedures
- aids in the induction of anesthesia and as part of balanced anesthesia process
- As continuous infusion, provides sedation of mechanically ventilated patients (ICU)
- As continuous infusion or intermittent doses used in palliative care for sedation and treatment of anxiety.
Assess and monitor:
- sedation level throughout procedure
- respirations – monitor continuously.