Diabetic foot ulcers
- a complications of diabetes mellitus due to poor circulation, neuropathy and delayed wound healing.
- 10-15% of diabetics develop foot ulcers at some point in their lives
- good foot hygiene and care
- injury prevention
- comfortable supportive footwear
- peripheral diabetic neuropathy
- peripheral diabetic related ischemia
Foot ulcers in diabetes require multidisciplinary assessment, usually by foot and wound care teams, diabetes specialists and surgeons.
Treatment consists of :
- appropriate dressings
- antibiotics (against staphylococcus, streptococcus, and anaerobic mocrobial strains)
- wound debridement
- arterial revascularisation.